Sunday, May 06, 2012

Laundry room facelift


My laundry room has been bothering me ever since we moved in. I know it's such an insignificant space to most people, but I really hated going in there. It bothered me that the hanging cupboard was a different colour than the standing cupboard below it. You can sort of see it in the photo above. I decided that one day I was going to give it a mini facelift.
Every time I was at Ikea I would check out the dresser section to see if they had anything that was around the same width as my current standing cupboard in my laundry room and that wasn't too deep. Most of the dressers were either too deep, too wide or too high. Then one day I found something that was perfect and it was on sale!


What I got was the BRIMNES 3 drawer chest in white. I wanted white because I was planning to paint
the hanging cupboard above it in white paint to match the drawer chest. Plus, it would match my
laundry sink colour as well.

I assembled the drawer chest and it fit perfectly in the space. 

That's just the first part of my little project.

The hanging cupboard is a cheap laminate cupboard.

I watched a few YouTube videos on painting cupboards. I went to Home Depot and purchased CIL's
kitchen cabinet paint in white as well as a primer. I sanded it with a soft sandpaper. I forgot what number
the sandpaper was… That made it easier for the primer/paint to stick to the cupboard and prevent it from
peeling off in the future.

I got my pretty glass knobs at Anthropologie. They are much prettier than the ugly cream knobs that
the cupboard had before.

And this is the final result!

I'm planning to add something to the wall in the future. Maybe a little vintage chalkboard?
Some of my clothes can't be put in the dryer so I want to have a chalkboard to keep track of
what clothes that I should make sure doesn't go in the dryer.

I also want to put something pretty on top the drawer chest. I have yet to find anything yet. Maybe
some mini succulents?

No comments:

Post a Comment