Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I had the wonderful opportunity to work with a great stylist in the city, Daniel Onori. I have great respect for off-figure stylists as they have to deal with making products look good. It's not as easy as it looks. Trust me, I've done low-budget photo shoot where I had to style products myself and it is HARD! If you are styling multiple products you have to make sure that they work well visually through a camera lens. You have to prop the products in different planes so that visually it looks good.
One of my favourite spreads that he worked on was the Where Christmas gift guide issue. I forgot what year it was for, but I just loved what he did with it. Basically the criteria of the feature was to focus on different Toronto neighbourhoods and choose gift ideas that are characterized by those neighbourhoods.


This is the cover of the issue. You can see that Daniel styled the products in the shape of a Christmas tree. Brilliant, no?


This is the opening page of the gift guide feature. It starts off with Toronto's posh Bloor Street. This is where all the high-end fashion stores are located. Sort of like New York's 5th Avenue. You can see that for this feature he used a map pattern on the background to tie the whole feature together.


Bayview Avenue is where all the 'yuppies' and yummy mummies live.


Bay Street is Toronto version of Wall Street. I love the brown colour scheme that he used. It's amazing how colours invoke a certain style.


Queen Street is the funky, shopping district. Lots of chic boutiques and bohemian styles.


King Street is where all the modern furniture stores and new high-rise condos are.


College Street is where all the funky musicians hang.

But what you don't see is the amazing collaboration between the Art Director & Editor of the magazine, plus the photographer, and the off-figure stylist that had to take place for this to be possible. Kudos to the team at Where!

No comments:

Post a Comment