Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mini craft project


Back in October we experienced a couple of blackouts where I live. Whenever we get severe rainstorms we tend to lose power. Usually we get power back right away, but the last few times we lost power for 4 hours. I realized then that I needed to have more candles in the house. I have a few Bath & Body Works scented candles, but I don't want to burn those for the sake of having light in the house as they are pretty expensive. I decided to stock up on a few cheap candles at the dollar store. 

I really don't like it when products are packaged unattractively. As a graphic design graduate I always want things to look pretty. I'm known for buying things just because the package is nice. Do you guys sometimes do that too?

So I had it down on my to-do list to make my own labels for the dollar store candles. Well, I've only had time now to work on them, but I'm finally crossing this off my to-do list!

Here is what the candle looked like with the original label on it. 

I measured the label size that I wanted and worked on a few mock-ups before settling
on this one. I always print out a sample on plain paper before printing it out on good
paper. That way I can change the size if I think it's too big/small. I also check the font size
and colour.

I chose a font that had a ribbon feel to it. So I used that same style on the label ends.
I thought the coral colour would go well with the green colour of the candle.

I have a 1.5" Xyron sticker maker and since my label was 1.25" high it was perfect
to run through it.

This sticker maker makes stickers out of anything you run through it as long as it is less
than 1.5" high.

Here are the labels after I peeled off the plastic top from the sicker maker.

Ta da!

Here are my completed candles.
I was planning on putting them in storage, but now I may display them because they
are so cute.

UPDATE I'm still very sick. It turns out that I got some sort of infection that's been making my throat really swollen and my eyes really red. I think I have a cold on top of that too. My voice is still totally gone and I'm very dizzy. I'm taking amoxicillin for my throat and a topical ointment for my eyes. It's made a huge difference in how I'm feeling today. I was so out of it that I almost hit a car while I was backing out of my driveway. 
Anyways, I'm planning a huge reveal in a few days. If you follow me on Instagram you will know what I'm talking about. 

1 comment:

  1. Omg this is such a cool idea. I've been meaning to do more arts and crafts at home but I've been so busy with school!

    PS: I've nominated you for an award. It's on my blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete